Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas 2009 Tea Party

Our annual Christmas Tea Party was nothing short of spectacular. There were eight in attendance and we had a great time. The table was all dressed out in traditional christmas colors, red, green, gold and white. I had made a poinsettia table runner and some napkins that when folded looked like Christmas trees. A friend's mother had made some for me years ago but I only had four so I made four more. They are just circles of two different kinds of christmas fabrics zigzagged together around the edges. The way you fold them then look like a christmas tree.
I was busy hosting so Beth took most of the pictures. She is the greatest at it so I just let her do her thing. Our menu consisted of proscuitto quiche, cheesy pasta bites and chicken salad sandwiches on crossants. The second tier was gingerbread scone, in the shape of gingerbread men, they were so cute. And the third tier was butter cookies in the shapes of christmas trees (green, of course), poinsettias (red, of course) with a green leaf (made out of a green spiced gum drop), pistachio orange rounds, rosemary pear thumbprints and some good old fashioned fudge. It was alot of work, I started cooking Friday night at around 5 p.m. and didn't shut the oven off until 9:45 p.m. and I was back up at 5 a.m. at it again. (I thought my back would give out before I got done but I managed to take five and sit down after each item). I have to tell you the funniest story too. Somewhere in between cooking the second to last dish and everyone showing up, I decided to take a jet bath. Needed to shower and get ready anyway so I thought I'll just sit in the jet tub for a few minutes (couldn't hurt the ol' back anyway). I also needed to finish cleaning my bathroom, which was mainly just the floor. For some unknown reason, I hate cleaning that floor. It's not like it's so big, it's a bathroom for goodness sake, but I hate it just the same. So I thought I'll just forgo the floor this time, no one will notice. Ha, Ha, the joke was on me. I filled the tub full of water. You have to wait to turn the jets on until the water gets past the jets or, guess what, you have water everywhere. Well, as usual, I was in a hurry and I turned the jets on too soon and OMG!!! Water was spueing (is that a word) every. And I mean everywhere, I was soaked from head to toe because of course I was trying to shield it from the floor with my hands, LOL. Needless to say, I now had to do the floor. I'm like, OK, OK, I'LL DO THE FLOOR!!! It was so funny, I am still laughing as I am writing this. Ok, back to the party. We had three different kinds of tea, vanilla almond, "to life" which was a flowery flavor, and happy tummy tea, my favorite. It's licorice flavored and decaf so I could drink as much as I wanted. I just love that stuff. It has been tradition since I started with these gals and the tea parties that at each one, we get a little trinket of some kind from the hostess. Well, this year I was given some tea pots from a lady that lived below me here in the complex that was moving. She literally had display cases full of them and said she didn't want to move them all. She asked me if I wanted some of them and I told her I would take all that she didn't want. She gave me like 10 or 12 different little tea pots. There were so cute. I washed them all up and selected the ones that all looked pretty much the same, i.e. they were all shaped like little buildings, ya know, like the little snow villages you see. I made gift bags them out of white crafts bags, decorated them with the same stamp set that I did the invitations in and added some christmas tissue paper on top. They were really cute and everyone liked them. YEAH!! We even did a gift exchange with a $10 limit. It was so fun. All in all, IT WAS AN AWESOME TEA PARTY! My daughter's boyfriend even said so. They came walking in just as we were opening gifts. That's what he told me later, that was an awesome tea party, lol. Sounded kinda funny coming from a guy, but it brought a big smile to my face and warm fuzzy feeling to my tummy. Thanks for stopping by and I wish you all, all the joys of the season! Merry Christmas Everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment