Saturday, June 9, 2012

Father's Day 2012

Good Morning bloggers!  It has come around to that time of year again where you desperately search for something "different" to send to your father on Father's Day.  I don't know about ya'll but it has always been a challenge for me.  They are just so hard to buy for.  Remember my last post, I said I was digging through a plastic tub full of old pictures.  Well, I also found one in there of my stepfather, of years back when he was, I'd say, probably 30-35.  He was quite the wild child back in the day, as we probably can all attest to at some point, lol!  Anyway, in the photo he has a full beard and an ol' black hat that had one of those plastic poppy flowers that the VA gives out, I think.  He is wearing an old blousin' shirt that has elastic in the sleeves and a big yoke on the front.  It was a really cool shirt and I just loved it.  As a matter of fact, I wore it as a night shirt for years after he left it lay one day.  I scanned the photo and made a 5x7 and embellised it a bit and put it back in the same frame it came out of.  See what you think?


I found some charms that reminded me of him, a fish-he has been an avid fisherman for years.  I don't think he ever owned a boat so now he has one, lol.  A bull representing the rodeos that he so loves (and on the other side of the frame is a grandstand ticket). The other charms are a cowboy boot, which I'm sure he wore many a pair out and a slot machine and a deck of cards.  He still goes to BlackHawk gambling.  The cards represent his initials and the vials, the liquor that he consumed for medicinal purposes, of course, lol!  The key represents the old '67 Mercury Comet he drove for years with a handmade stereo box as the console.  The others were just thrown in for a good measure.  I had a great time putting it all together and I'm sure he will shed a tear when all these memories come flashing back.

Hope you get to spend time with your fathers this Father's Day.
Hugs,
~Jody

NOTE:  Stepfather received his photo and called to say Thank You.  He also mentioned that it took him a year to grow that beard, and that was the reason for the photo.  I had forgotten that little tidbit of information, so glad he called to remind me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jody - Absolutely loved reading your post. Thanks for sharing your memories and the fab photo. This tag was fun to do but it is the photo element that I too found the most enjoyable part. So many memories flooding back.

Jody said...

Thank you so much Helen. He was so proud of it that he took it all over town showing it off. Great, great memories!

Post a Comment