Saturday, May 26, 2012

Just love me some Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

I remember years ago, an old green wooden ice cream maker my father had.  It was the hand crank model and we all had to take turns if we wanted any ice cream.  It was soooooooo good.  I have my father's recipe for it but have never had a machine with which to do it. 

My ex-husband's dad had an electric ice cream maker we used to borrow once in a while. And I almost bought an old green hand crank model at a flea market a couple of years ago but my boyfriend at the time convinced me that I didn't want that old thing.  Should have swapped him for the ice cream maker, lol!!!

Then last week, Tracey over at The Cottage Industry blog has been making different kinds of ice cream in her new ice cream maker and she has inspired me to go get my own finally.  I did a little research online and found that Target had them on sale so I raced over there to see if they still had one and they did, had 2 left, YEAH!!!!

 

 I also picked up some heavy whipping cream to go with the sugar and eggs that I already had.  Some rock salt and some plastic cups and spoons so I could share with the kids that run around the neighborhood.
Got it all washed up and set up and churning in about a half hour.  Froze the metal canister while I was mixing up the ingredients and then poured it all in with about 6 cups of milk.
 It took a bit longer to start setting up because I had it outside and it's pretty warm here in ol'FL.  About 90º+ today so this was going to be a pretty good treat on a hot afternoon.
Couldn't hardly wait to get the dasher out of it.  I had already taste-tested a couple of times but I wanted a dish of it right now, lol!  I did eat a little cup of it but it needed to set up some more in the freezer.
Unfortunately, it was a bit too late to share with the kids tonight, but it will be good and ready tomorrow.  Of course, I've had several little cups of it already tonight and it is SOOOOOOOOOO Good.  It tastes just as good as it did way back then! YUM!!!!

Hope you get some yummy treats this weekend too!
Hugs,
~Jody
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment